Weighted blankets are typically heavier than normal blankets and can be used on the bed, couch, or anywhere you want to relax. These blankets are not just ordinary blankets; they take their inspiration from a therapeutic technique called deep pressure stimulation, through which firm, controlled pressure is induced to get a feeling of calm.
- Using a weighted blanket does not only help with getting calm, but can also have a lot of benefits for sleep.
- It provides comfort and security.
- It eases stress and soothe anxiety.
As a result of deep pressure stimulation, there's increase in production of a mood-boosting hormone (serotonin), and reduction in the stress hormone (cortisol), which helps you sleep better.
Weighted blanket can also help calming an overactive nervous system.
Who Can Benefit from Using a Weighted Blanket?
Weighted blankets have potential benefits for almost everyone, however, those who experience a high amount of stress or who have certain medical conditions can greatly benefit from it.
In particular it may help:
- People with stress and poor sleep
- Individuals having anxiety and depression
- Individuals with Autism and ADHD