Benefits of Weighted Blankets
Weighted blankets are typically heavier than normal blankets and can be used on the bed, couch, or anywhere you want to relax. These blankets are not just ordinary blankets; they take their inspiration from a therapeutic technique called deep pressure stimulation, through which firm, controlled pressure is induced to get a feeling of calm.
- Using a weighted blanket does not only help with getting calm, but can also have a lot of benefits for sleep.
- It provides comfort and security.
- It eases stress and soothe anxiety.
As a result of deep pressure stimulation, there's increase in production of a mood-boosting hormone (serotonin), and reduction in the stress hormone (cortisol), which helps you sleep better.
Weighted blanket can also help calming an overactive nervous system.
Who Can Benefit from Using a Weighted Blanket?
Weighted blankets have potential benefits for almost everyone, however, those who experience a high amount of stress or who have certain medical conditions can greatly benefit from it.
In particular it may help:
- People with stress and poor sleep
- Individuals having anxiety and depression
- Individuals with Autism and ADHD